Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Publication Day ... Yeah, I'm having a contest.



Publication days for authors is a HUGE deal. It's like Christmas and your birthday rolled up into a nerve wracked whooper of a day and there's a few folks who are going through a day full of the jitters on this Valentines Day.

First is Hilary Davidson

You all know what a fan of Hilary's I am and her sophomore effort THE NEXT ONE TO FALL hits the street today and in celebration I'm offering a signed Advanced Readers Copy of THE NEXT ONE TO FALL and all you have to do is tell me what your favorite vacation was (domestic or international) in the comments section. If you want, I'll even have Hilary personalize it when she visits the Poisoned Pen on February 21st.

Here's the skinny on THE NEXT ONE TO FALL:


Travel writer Lily Moore has been persuaded by her closest friend, photographer Jesse Robb, to visit Peru with him. Jesse is convinced that the trip will lure Lily out of her dark mood, but Lily is haunted by betrayal and loss. At Machu Picchu, the famous Lost City of the Incas, they discover a woman clinging to life at the bottom of an ancient stone staircase. Just before the woman dies, she tells Lily the name of the man who pushed her.
When the local police investigate, the forensic evidence they find doesn’t match what Lily knows. Unable to accept the official ruling of accidental death, Lily hunts down the wealthy man who was the dead woman’s traveling companion and discovers a pattern of dead and missing women in his wake.
Obsessed with getting justice for these women, Lily sets in motion a violent chain of events that will have devastating consequences.

To Sweeten the pot, I'll throw in a copy of WILD THING by Josh Bazell, who will be at the Poisoned Pen on March 5th, so I'll get that signed for you, too. By the way, if you haven't already, you can check out my interview with Dr. Bazell over at LitReactor right HERE.

And here's the skinny on WILD THING:


It's hard to find work as a doctor when using your real name will get you killed. So hard that when a reclusive billionaire offers Dr. Peter Brown, aka Pietro Brnwa, a job accompanying a sexy but self-destructive paleontologist on the world's worst field assignment, Brown has no real choice but to say yes. Even if it means that an army of murderers, mobsters, and international drug dealers-not to mention the occasional lake monster-are about to have a serious Pietro Brnwa problem. 
Facing new and old monsters alike, Dr. Brnwa's story continues in this darkly funny and lightning-paced follow up to Josh Bazell's bestselling debut.

You know the deal with contests, U.S. residents and Cannucks only

15 comments:

  1. Oh Canadians too, eh? Cool. I'm currently reading "The Damage Done" and it's brilliant.

    My best vacation had to be Las Vegas in 05. My guy and I tied the knot at the Elvis Chapel and "Elvis" walked me down the aisle in a gold lame suit singing Love Me Tender. I wore black with pink dots all over me from an allergic reaction to antibiotics, but it was still one of the best moments of my life. We went to the strip club after to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia - I figured I needed to include you bunch of Rush lovers since Hilary's Canadian and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite vacation spot is still Oxford, England. Love the sense of ancient peace that falls over me the minute I enter the town.

    Happy book birthday, Hilary! And thanks for the contest, Keith!

    llrodriguez (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oddly enough, one of the best vacations I've ever had was also in Vegas. Though I managed to spend over $600 on alcohol--and I seldom drink--but only 25 bucks on gambling. The highlight of our trip was smoking salvia (YouTube "salvia trip") that I bought from a Mexican street vendor, and for about 5 minutes I honestly thought I was trapped inside a pinball machine. Add to this, I was with a black Hulk Hogan impersonator. So there's that.

    Best vacation ever? Probably.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keith, you've got a new fan-- thank Holly West (the writer, not the "actress").
    I'd love the signed ARCs, thanks. My favorite vacation was backpacking through Europe for two months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale - You win, sir. I'll be contacting you shortly.

      Delete
    2. Keith,

      Awesome! Thank you-- I'll send along contact info. Am looking forward to discovering new work.

      Delete
  6. Linda - I would love to go to Oxford.

    Matt - We all remember your shenanigans at the Ice Bar, my friend.

    Dale - I'm a huge fan of Holly's and thanks for stopping by and entering the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite vacation was Costa Rica. Went with my BFF & his wife. We did all the touristy things (my fav being the white water rafting) but the best part was the vacation rental with pool located right across from the beautiful black sand beach in Jaco. It was nice having a "home" instead of hotel room & the sunsets were absolutely the most beautiful!!!

    Sarah =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite vacation was my freshman year of college. It was expensive though. Real expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poorly executed joke. I was trying to say the entirety of freshman year was a vacation.

      Delete
    2. Zing! See, this what you get for trying college humor on someone who didn't go to college.

      Delete
  9. Best vacation ever was Peru in 99...Seeing Machu Picchu peeking through the cloud forest was magical. And even though the bus skidded in the last turn, we didn't plunge down the mountain, so that was good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My best vacation would have to be Sept/Oct 1999 when I went to England and stayed with a professional driver and his family. I missed most of the touristy things but got to see the UK and parts of France, Germany and Belgium in a lorry (18 wheeler). The most interesting moments were on a ferry from Zeebrugge: only lorries and cargo-trucks allowed, no walk-ons or passenger cars. I was one of two women on the entire boat and the only American. It's amazing what varied questions you get asked by Eastern European truck drivers. :)

    ReplyDelete